Following what we already told you some time ago about Mobile-First Indexing, today we want to bring you an overview of some elements that you should take into account to optimize your mobile SEO.
You already know (or should know) that Google made it official in March 2018, and since then it has started sending messages to the Search Console of all websites gradually indicating that from now on they will use the mobile version of your website for subsequent indexing and ranking.
Therefore, we see that it is not nonsense to have your website optimized for these devices if we want to keep showing up in the search results above our competitors.
What is the difference between mobile and desktop SEO?
Although it is true that basic aspects of SEO such as optimizing your HTML tags, doing good keyword research to optimize your content, having a good URL architecture or doing link building are still the same as in the desktop version, there are certain things that we must take into account to optimize our mobile website
- Design: This is not about having a responsive design anymore (let’s hope you already have one!). We are referring to having a web design adapted to how users navigate from a mobile device. Make sure that the buttons where users have to click are well positioned and have the right size, that they are not too close to the others, or to the rest of the text. Make sure that the menus are displayed and seen correctly on mobile and that they do not make the user’s navigation difficult. Check that the user can scroll correctly with his thumb.
- Load speed: on a desktop, it is important too, yes, but on the mobile version much more. Why? basically because, unless the user connects via Wi-Fi, mobile connections are much slower than computer ones. Think that a user could be trying to enter your website from the subway, train, the coverage, sometimes, is notable for its absence…), so it is necessary to have a website that loads very fast if we do not want to see affected the user’s experience in our website, and with it the conversions.
- Local SEO wins: in mobile SEO optimization, Local SEO is extremely important. Most of us have our GPS connected all day long and when we do a Google search where the search intention is to show you local results, Google will do it. If you have not optimized your Google My Business file, well-implemented the Structured Data, and, ultimately, a good Local SEO, you will probably not appear in those geolocated results.
- Adapt titles and descriptions: Make sure that the titles and descriptions of your URLs that appear in the search results are not cut off or show strange symbols/icons. Remember that your computer screen is not the same size as a mobile phone screen.
- Avoid pop-ups: in general, these ads are not liked by Google. In mobile, it makes sense that they are not, since many of them make the user’s navigation difficult by being impossible to close or avoid so the user finally decides to go to another website.
How do I adapt my website to my mobile phone?
Well, once you have seen the differences with respect to the computer version, basically to adapt your website to the mobile, the advice we have given above is a good starting point
If you want to have the exact picture of how your website is currently adapted for mobile phones, you must use Google’s tool: Google Mobile Friendly Test. This tool will tell us if our website is optimized for mobile or not and aspects to be corrected to improve both the optimization and the user’s mobile browsing experience.
The test can be as good as this…
We shouldn’t keep this, though. We must investigate the other results and additional resources for the proper optimization of our website that the tool gives us as “Problems that have occurred when loading the page”, “Open the report of mobile usability of the website”, etc.
Google provides us with the complete list of errors that can occur when performing the mobile optimization test and how to fix each one of them in this link: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6352293
This is our secret
Our secret has no special tricks, we simply follow strictly Google recommendations that we have presented in this article, taking into account what the user experience demands at all times by adapting our website and SEO services in that sense
If you think that all this is too complicated to implement yourself in your project, don’t worry, we can help you! Contact us without obligation and we will evaluate your project 🙂